[DeTomaso] coolant bypass

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 3 11:30:25 EST 2012

I have never believed the statement that you have to slow down the coolant
to allow it to stay in the radiator long enough to function properly.

Especially since that means the water in the engine is slowed down just as
much, so it picks up even more heat.

You can't do one without the other.

I DO believe that you slow down or recirculate coolant to keep the engine
from getting too cold.  That's what a thermostat is for.

I could also believe the coolant is slowed down to keep the head pressure
from blowing the radiator or hoses.

I normally don't respond to coolant posts anymore, because this has been way
overdone.  As someone said earlier, if you do the well documented mods, you
won't have a problem.

I ran for years in Houston with no fans (unbeknown to me at the time).  I
did not have a swirl tank.  I had a Manley pump with backing plate, normal
351C thermostat, stainless pipes, properly burped system, and a Fluidyne
radiator.  I'm putting it back together the same way, except I have the
Pantera Electronics fan controller.

The engine was a 377C with hardblok to the top of the freeze plugs, A3
heads, Webers, and a CompCams 294S solid lifter cam.

The new engine is a 408C, and I'm adding 180's.

The point being my car is not stock, and I had zero cooling issues, even
without using a swirl tank.