[DeTomaso] Ingnition switch/tumblers

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Thu Aug 2 16:01:17 EDT 2012

What goes bad more than the lock tumblers is the separate electrical portion
that is screwed to the backside of the ignition lock assembly.

That section handles all the electrical, and also provides the spring motion to return the key from the start position to the run position.

Pieces of that section can break or get gummed up and not function correctly.

If you had no spring back, or had intermittent electrical issues rather than just physical turn-the-key problems, I would suspect the electrical portion.

It can be replaced without removing the entire ignition assembly.

To troubleshoot, you could remove your current electrical section and then try your key.  If the problem goes away, you'll know it isn't in the tumblers.

Some owners have successfully opened their switches, cleaned them and returned them to service. You can find tutorials at PanteraPlace.com

http://panteraplace.com/page125.htm

FYI - I have and sell the electrical portion.  NOS Ford in the original bag.

Contact me off list if that turns out to be what you need.

Larry