[DeTomaso] Engine Choices-BMW?

Phil Lockett montecarlo296 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 1 12:32:44 EDT 2012

Just my 2p, I've looked into tuning both the Audi 4.2 and the BMW 4.0 v8's as it turns out I have both.

The driving factor is that the manufacturers see the entire bottom end of both engines as disposable - hence there are no OEM oversize pistons, crank bearings or other rebuild kits on the market, and aftermarket are scarce if not unobtainium.

There is a bit that you can do at the top end - such as fitting the FSI system to the Audi, but most people, to get more power, just bolt on a couple of turbos.

I'll be Megasquirting the Audi with a wideband lambda loop so it'll be interesting to see what that and 18" long exhausts do to the power curve.

Phil