[DeTomaso] Wheel Bearings GT5-S

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Apr 14 15:04:22 EDT 2012

Charlie, I don't know if your #1 GT5-S is different than later ones, but
the '87 I worked on (for the same reason) had a std ball bearing outboard and
a wide straight roller bearing inboard, with the upright bored out to fit
the larger OD inner bearing. The spacer between the two was shorter than the
early cars with two ball bearings, and the required torque of the stub-axle
nut was the same as with early cars (350-450 ft-lbs). Brand new bearings
installed in the '87 on aftermarket axles had virtually the same 'play' as the
stock parts, at significant expense.

GT5-S rears routinely fail open track race inspections if they're done by
inspectors not familiar with the design of this model; the wide roller
bearing has significant play while laying on a bench and installing the bearing in
the upright on tight-fitting axles does not eliminate all of it. So it's a
judgement call as to whether the play felt is from a loose-fitting axle or
"normal" straight-roller bearing play. I'd carefully check your rear tire
wear and if that's OK across the tread, your rear play is probably OK. Good
Luck- J DeRyke