[DeTomaso] distributor gear

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Apr 13 04:04:55 EDT 2012

In a message dated 4/12/12 7:51:48 PM, will.kooiman at gmail.com writes:

> This metallurgy discussion only applies to roller cams, right?
> I've always assumed that I didn't have to worry about the dist gear
> material with my flat tappet cam (CompCams).

I agree with Dan. Regardless of the cam being run, the only real 'safe'
setup with a 351-C is to minimize the loads the oil pump applies to the cam
gear and the one in its mesh on the bottom of the distributor shaft. The
distributor load is trivial; its all pump load. And there are three failure
points: the distributor gear pin, the oil pump driveshaft and finally the gear
teeth themselves. The first two are simple to fix; there is no perfect fix (so
far) for #3.
To cloud the mix further, occasionally, an aftermarket cam of any kind will
get its integral gear cut at the wrong pressure-angle; with such a cam, any
gear may last only 5 miles. Yes- it's happened. My 2¢- J Deryke