[DeTomaso] Av fuel vs race gas

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Apr 13 03:52:02 EDT 2012

In a message dated 4/12/12 3:11:37 PM, knottsj at galstar.com writes:

> All my life I have heard that aviation fuel has additives that make it
> unsuitable for automotive use.  Is it only that you carb won't ice at 20,000
> ft or is there more to it than that.

The burn rate of some avgas is so slow that it's still burning as it exits
the tailpipes in high-rpm car and bike engines. Un-good for your exhaust
valves. There are at least 3 grades; 90 unleaded (clear), 100/130 (green) and
115/145 (purple) octane. THe first two might be OK but stay far away from the
last one. It was designed for huge combustion chambers with 8" bore pistons
running at 2500 rpm max. And of course, the sacred federal road tax is not
charged on airplane fuels so like running home heating oil in your diesel
pickup, there are spies everywhere ready to pounce & fines are stupendous.
FWIW- J Deryke