[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 93, Issue 4- Brake master

RCBSONS1 at aol.com RCBSONS1 at aol.com
Wed Apr 4 13:42:36 EDT 2012

I wanted to chime in on my experiences with master cylinders
and brake boosters

My Pantera has the complete brake kit from Byers with a modified
S-10 master and booster,  wilwood 6 piston/ 4 piston setup.. it all
works great and I have never had brake fade on the track... works
great on the street..  I should put a vacuum canister on it as I have
little vacuum from my motor and sometimes a low speeds it does
need a little more vac

My Gt350 clone had the shelby-fix.. big lincoln brakes and not sure of the
master... drums in the back.. not impressed for a track car so I tossed
it for a Baer/corvette conversion with new master, no power brakes
still had the drum brakes on a 2800 lb car and it stopped great on
and off the track.. no problems ever

I just bought a new master for my Firebird and it has a plug in it
that I can pull out for the rears once I change the car to rear discs

These are all proven systems that someone has figured out... I spend some
time on the lateral-g site and there are many guys piecing things together
and either the master is too big or too small- some are 1", 15/16", 7/8"
but it needs to match your system..  one of the vendors... Kore ...out of
the
Northwest does a lot of vette, S10 conversions and seems to know his stuff
good reading or he will respond to help you out

My point is there are many variables that can cause issues.. many of these
guys track or autocross so the do use their brakes hard.  Cook the fluid
and things are toast ask my Viper buddy who has to bleed his brakes all the
time

Two local autocrossers did the Optima challenge in Pahrump and recently
a muscle car challenge in SoCal... they both had good brake systems but
doing
the Stop Box challenge seemed to toast their brakes.. heated fluid...
bubbles in
the system, who knows.. going a distance and stopping as fast as you can in
a box
in approx 7 seconds did them in.. Mike Maier actually won the whole event
down
south but he told me his brakes were gone.. downshifting on the track etc in
the other challenges.. he has a 65 mustang with a Michael Waltrip Nascar
motor
in a street legal car.. sets the chip at 9,000 rpm.. my kind of guy

Try dealing with the Hydroboost systems running off the power steering pump
real touchy and adjusting is like getting bubbles out of our cooling systems

My 2 cents. no expert but putting pieces together can cause issues

Bob Benson #3 Black Pantera- getting ready for Az