[DeTomaso] GUMBALL PANTERA BREAKS DOWN OVER WEEKEND

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Sep 8 14:50:23 EDT 2011

In a message dated 9/8/11 5:19:13 AM, mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk writes:

> Ended up removing the Mallory Dist and module and putting a points (!)
> Accel Dist in, all problems gone

Be aware that Accell points distributors, like all mechanical assemblies,
have a soft spot. The points   cam is a slip-fit on the central shaft, and is
located with a woodruf key. Because the central shaft is hollow, the
surface that holds the key is not very thick. After many years in our 351-C, the
key slot in my Accell widened enough that my ignition timing varied according
to the phase of the moon, time of day and driver's attitude. Sure, its
fixable by brazing or other extreme measures, but I went to a Ford Duraspark
ignition which does not have the problem. This was the super-Accell with a
needle bearing support for the upper part of the central shaft; didn't help this
problem, which seems to be prevalent on all points Accells; check the cam
occasionally for looseness. FWIW- J Deryke