[DeTomaso] X vs.H pipe commentary . . .

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Oct 30 15:15:09 EDT 2011

In a message dated 10/30/11 11:58:29 AM, adin at frontier.net writes:

> Drone is a consideration, too.  I am also wondering if one could route a
> single pipe from each bank
> into a common muffler at the rear?

David, one Pantera owner addressed this question decades ago by mounting a
large home-made crosswise muffler BEHIND the ZF, with many drilled exhaust
holes for outlets. Not quite a crossover as we know them. As I remember his
setup, he led the 4 exhausts directly out of stock mufflers into a rather
large tubular slip-on thingy in the space where many run their crossovers. The
claim was an eerie-quiet Pantera and no drone but still with 'good power'.
Again, no dyno tests. And the owner is unfortunately deceased now so dunno
where the car is today. I'll see if I can find the reference and reprint it.
FWIW, I built a garage exhaust collector similar to this, so I could fire
up the Pantera without having to open the overhead door in Winter.   FWIW- J
Deryke