[DeTomaso] X vs.H pipe commentary . . .

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Oct 30 15:03:16 EDT 2011

D. Vizard's comments on crossover pipes: says that on his dyno, any length
between the headers up to about 6 feet gives pretty much the same
horsepower/torque, and he also saw no real differences between an X pipe and an H
pipe, or with various diameters. But 98% of VIzard's dyno runs are on some sort
of smallblock Chevy, not a 351-C. Many that say it 'helps' have no dyno runs
to verify their hip-pocket evaluations. Hopefully when Dan runs his tests
he will also use a dB meter, since a secondary reason to run a crossover is
for a little less exhaust noise- also never verified. I would be surprised at
more than a 1.0 dB drop even when using a glass-pak muffler as part of the
cross-over... A crossover pipe need not be round so a flat-oval or even a
thin rectangular crossover could be run connecting the header collector areas
without cutting ground clearance much, but would heat up our ZF cases
somewhat. It's always something in our tightly packed sportscars.... J DeRyke