[DeTomaso] ZF leak

Justin Greisberg justingreisberg at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 12 18:24:13 EDT 2011

Last year, I removed the ZF from my car, took off the bottom plate, wired up the ring gear, and then put it all back together with the special redilne synthetic lube everyone on this forum recommends.  The it seaped from the axle seal on one side!!  I drained the fancy fluid, bought some cheap gear lube 75-90, and replaced the lube.  the leak has been slowly decreasing, so now there is no puddle on the floor and I think there is still fluid in the trans.
By the way, my first gear synchro is not so good.  I dont know if it is just worn (never been actually rebuilt), or if the lube plays a role.  the redline synthetic I put in was a blend of non slip and slip stuff, but the not-fancy not-synthetic lube that is in there now is just normal without friction modifier.
justin