[DeTomaso] Valance Protection

michael@michaelshortt.com michaelsavga at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 19:52:02 EDT 2011

Reminds me of an SCCA racer I raced with ( in different classes) that
campaigned an old HP Austin Healy Sprite witb a fiberglass airdam that was
constantly getting cracked in the pits, grid area, on and off the trailer,
etc.  So he decided to cut it with two vertical slices and mount springs
behind it and a hinge across the top.
Worked great in the pits, grid and unloading it, but on the front straight
at about 115 mph, it would hinge backward from the oncoming pressure of the
air.
So he kept getting stiffer and stiffer springs until it wouldn't deform at
speed.  And those were so stiff, when he hit a low spot in the pits at Road
Atlanta, it broke clean in two.

Michael