[DeTomaso] Brake Upgrade

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Nov 11 21:24:09 EST 2011

In a message dated 11/11/11 17 13 36, cuvee at sbcglobal.net writes:

> I know someone over the years has asked...What if you put a set of stock
> front calipers on the rear? With everything Chuck has tested, adjustable
> proportioning valve and all, would it be worth the effort? $$$ Maybe not
> great, but better then the stock rear brakes???
>
>>>It would be an enormous amount of work.   You could put just about any
caliper on the back if you tried hard enough; there are hundreds of OEM and
aftermarket options that would be better than stock Pantera front calipers.
Just cruising through a junkyard, you could pluck rear calipers off a BMW
or Volvo or Firebird or whatever, and be better off (you'd have a fighting
chance at a parking brake, for starters).

There's nothing terribly wrong with the stock Pantera front calipers, but
it's kind of pointless to try to make a dog into a cat.   If you're going to
adapt some other caliper to the rear of the Pantera, it might as well be a
rear caliper of some sort....