[DeTomaso] Cracking at typical/atypical areas?

gow2 at rc-tech.net gow2 at rc-tech.net
Tue Nov 1 11:14:59 EDT 2011

It looks like the lead was removed and filler is what cracked. When
stripping these cars there Detomaso used a ton of lead. Even my door jambs
were "carved" from lead.

Lead get's a bad wrap but when done correctly it still has viable uses and
a joint which has some flex is a perfect place. Many cars such as old
Jaguars had spots that flex and lead is the only thing that can withstand
minor flex without cracking. Even modern fillers are a sure bet for
cracking when flexed.

In stripping my car after 40 years the original leaded joints were still
in amazing shape. A testament to lead. It is exactly why some of never
realized jut how much lead is in a Pantera; because it works well even
after 40 years.

Today's "lead" fillers are generally not lead but other pliable mixes
which work the same for the same reasons. People say lead is a poor
substitute for filler but in reality they shine where fillers don't. You
may use filler for a defect in a door for example which you are not going
to do the proper repair but your not gong to put lead on the face of a
door; that's not what it's for. A pillar which may flex is a prime example
of where lead will shine.

My door jambs were full of lead form the factory; carved from lead if you
will. I never knew it till I stripped it because they looked great even
after 40 years. This doesn't exactly show the lead removed but if you
scroll down to the door jamb you can see the amount of effort which was
done to put the door jamb in the proper position without lead; an effort
to get better door gaps then Pantera's generally have:

http://www.rc-tech.net/pantera1/door/door.htm

Gary