[DeTomaso] Cracking at typical/atypical areas?

michael frazier red3644 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 1 10:48:24 EDT 2011

They ARE typical, but I'll reply anyway.... :-)
>From personal experience, the cracking in the "corners" of the body like the windshield and tail light openings are the original lead filler
that has work hardened from flexing and cracked.  The body hasn't cracked, just the lead filler.  If I were doing this all over again, I'd remove
the lead and use a plastic body filler...Bondo.  The crack at the top of the door is indeed a crack in the sheet metal where the window frame
has repeatedly flexed over the years.  There is a lot of strain on this area from people pulling on it, bad fitting weatherstripping, and just the
years of use.  It's not a real strong part of the design.  The radial cracks around the rear emblem area look like they are in bondo.  That's a
single thickness panel and shouldn't have any filler in it unless a repair was made.

Michael Frazier
Gruppo Rompiculi Corsa