[DeTomaso] MME Engine Failure

Peter Kovacs peter-kovacs at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 26 16:42:25 EDT 2011

I had exactly that scenario on my small block Chevy in my Vega 20+ years
ago. Harland Sharp Roller Rockers. The shaft holding the roller tip failed. The
roller "rolled" out and the rocker body came down on the disk, missing the valve
stem, released the retainers. The valve dropped in and bounced of the top of the
piston....repeatedly. I shut the engine down quickly. Lifted the valve,
pressurized the cylinder, and replaced the pieces. Dodged a bullet and
everything was fine. Very lucky. Thanks for the help John DeFazio.

Oh... and later the little metal piece that went inside the roller tip made it's
way to the oil pump, locked it up, split the shaft down the middle and bent
over. Game over. engine out.

Peter Kovacs
209 345-6708
209 436-2000 fx