[DeTomaso] next on the list

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu May 19 01:36:21 EDT 2011

In a message dated 5/18/11 9:44:31 PM, gndplne at yahoo.com writes:

> What about them makes them not rebuildable?

1)- the usual problem is pitted bores from water in the brake fluid. Honing
the pits out of the bore makes it too big to reuse the stock piston & seal
(which is usually wasted anyway).
2)- there never was a master cylinder repair kit from Ford/DeTomaso, so
replacement pistons and seals are unavailable. If you resleeve the thing,
you'll have to sort through some parts depot for a seal that fits whatever bore
you end up with. I can make a piston, but not a seal....
3)- Entire replacement master cylinders are also unavailable. Urban legend
says the identical power brake assembly is used in the Ferrari 308-series,
and decades ago, a mechanic exceeded his skill level while fixing one or the
other. On a subsequent drive, the repaired brakes failed and put the owner
under the rear of a truck. So obviously, he (or his heirs- the story is
unclear) sued Bendix-Italia. The result was, Bendix-Italia stopped selling brake
repair parts entirely. The complete power brake assembly is available as a
unit only- for over $600. Which is why they are usually considered
unrepairable; only cannibalized parts from other old units are available. I'd use the
adapted U.S master cylinder. Good luck- J Deryke