[DeTomaso] next on the list

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu May 19 02:12:07 EDT 2011

In a message dated 5/18/11 22 36 56, JDeRyke at aol.com writes:

> 3)- Entire replacement master cylinders are also unavailable.
>
>>>Uh...no.   That was true in 1997 perhaps....

> > Urban legend
> says the identical power brake assembly is used in the Ferrari 308-series,
> and decades ago, a mechanic exceeded his skill level while fixing one or
> the
> other. On a subsequent drive, the repaired brakes failed and put the owner
> under the rear of a truck. So obviously, he (or his heirs- the story is
> unclear) sued Bendix-Italia. The result was, Bendix-Italia stopped selling
> brake
> repair parts entirely.
>
>>>Save the watches!   Save the watches! :>)

> The complete power brake assembly is available as a
> unit only- for over $600.
>
>>>It depends on where you shop.   It's true (or at least it was, last time
I checked, years ago I admit) that the complete booster/master assembly
costs over $600 from Wilkinson.   But the master itself is less than half that
from other sources--and perhaps from Wilkinson too, now.

> >Which is why they are usually considered
> unrepairable; only cannibalized parts from other old units are available.
> I'd use the
> adapted U.S master cylinder.
>
>>>I wholeheartedly agree!   Given the choice, I'd go with a US master and
an adapter bracket too--it's cheaper and they are extremely cheap to replace
down the road.   The expensive part of the US master and adapter, is the
adapter.   The master can be replaced for $50 once you've got that.   But if
you're committed to an original-style master, several vendors carry them and
have for years.

PI lists them just over halfway down this page, for $219:

http://www.pim.net/bpage.html

Precision Pro-formance has them listed on their website too:

http://precisionproformance.com/bc2000.php

The Pantera master is the same as those used on various Ferraris
(308/328/512BB/400GT), and if you're feeling spendy, Ferrari Parts Exchange in
Sacramento sells the master only, for $775!

I wouldn't horse around with trying to low-buck rebuild a stock brake
master cylinder--the consequences of failure are just too terrible to consider,
both legally and in terms of safety.