[DeTomaso] pan gaskets

David in Durango adin at frontier.net
Mon May 16 09:09:24 EDT 2011

"I have a set of special studs that I use on oil and transmission pans when
fighting gravity.  They are tapered and spring loaded.  Screw them in at
least the four corners and you can just push the pan into place and the
studs will hold the pan (and gasket) in place while you screw the bolts in
the rest of the holes.  Then unscrew the studs and replace with bolts.
I inherited these so I'm not sure where one would buy a similar set.

Dan Jones"

Bwahahahahaha (laughing at myself).

When I did the oil pump and pan mods on the 302 in the Miata (don't ask) I was told to clean everything surgically clean (laquer thinner) and then use super glue to hold the gasket to the block (glue it on w/ a few pan bolts to line everything up, let dry and remove bolts).  the pan gasket I bought was "one piece" w/ rubber covered steel and very nice.  In the box were 4 plastic gizmos that I had never seen before with no instructions (i'm not a manly man, am I?)  I took a close look at them as I lifted the lid to the garbage can when the epiphany struck!
Screw a plastic gizmo in each corner.
slip the gasket over the plastic gizmos and up against the block (it stays as if by FM [1] )
push the pan up, not forgetting to "goosh" the corners.  guess what? is stays in place as if by FM!
put a few bolts in
remove the plasic gizmos
install corner bolts
TORQUE TO FORD SPECS
after a few hours - TORQUE TO FORD SPECS - repeat until the retorque in does NOT turn the bolts.
No leaks!

Grouchy & Dirty, esq.
wish I could remember what brand of pan gasket!

[1] Freakin' magic

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 6125 (20110516) __________

http://www.eset.com