[DeTomaso] bump steer kit

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon May 9 18:53:44 EDT 2011

In a message dated 5/9/11 15 09 42, panteratime at aol.com writes:

> Folks--
> Im due for an alignment and before I went to a shop i thought i would
> install the bump steer spacer I hear about.  Can someone point me in the
> direction with regard to where to get it? Someone mentioned Pelican Parts-$14?
> I assume its something i can install myself?

For some years, there were some highly dubious kits on the market that
required you to drill out the already-thin holes in the spindle arms and install
an adapter.   A much better solution is to simply install 10mm spacers
under the rack mounts.

Your car is an L-model, isn't it?   If so, it probably came with those
spacers from the factory.

Part #32A in this diagram:

http://www.panterasbywilkinson.com/webpages/catalog/ill7c.html

Chuck Melton sells kits with custom-machined spacers and the appropriate
10mm-longer bolts with lockwashers.   But if your car is an L-model you
probably don't need to do anything.

I don't know at which point the rack spacers were introduced....