[DeTomaso] Valve train

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Mar 21 00:03:44 EDT 2011

In a message dated 3/20/11 5:44:13 PM, gaino at earthlink.net writes:
snip.....
> Then a push rod came out from under a rocker, or off a lifter.  No
> damage, I put it back...  what gives... ? not enough spring pressure?  I have a
> 6000 rpm limit,, never hit it.. Ideas. should I be able to hear the valve
> train workin?

When setting valve lash or hydraulic lifter preload, its possible to hang a
pushrod tip on the top outer edge of a lifter, and adjust everything there.
Then under load, it pops off- sometimes out, sometimes into its socket
where it rattles around from too much clearance. I personally adjust both solid
and hydraulic lifters old-school- with the engine running at idle. Its
painful and messy to do this way, but you get to see and touch the valves &
pushrods while they're working, and a hung pushrod will be immediately obvious
from it's different rocker angle in operation. You got lucky if nothing was
damaged. Go buy yourself a lottery ticket....
Whether the valvetrain is noisy or not depends a bit on the cam & its type.
My fast-bleed hydraulic flat-tappet lifters are as noisy as some solids at
idle.
Your problem may also have been a broken or missing inner valve spring or
damper (if you're using such). The inners & flat dampers are difficult to see
fully assembled, especially if you're running a stud girdle (desirable on
351-Cs). Use the paper-clip checking method on that particular spring set to
detect a defective spring by poking it and looking for any motion. A normal
human will not be able to move anything by hand in a spring-set unless its
busted. I'd disassemble that spring-set clear down to the head if you have
further trouble with that valve. All this can be done with difficulty & the
right tools with the engine in the car. Good luck- J Deryke