[DeTomaso] Dipstick tube reach into block/oil pan

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jun 19 15:53:40 EDT 2011

In a message dated 6/19/11 11 03 33, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> I noticed that the Pantera dip stick I bought has a tube that reaches
> about 10 inches into the engine.  The engine had a regular Ford dip stick
> (maybe Windsor) with a tube that only reaches about 3 inches into the engine
> with more exposed rod.  Any ideas why the difference and if a Cleveland
> should have the longer tube reach?

The vendor I'm mentioning shall remain unnamed.   But I recently
orchestrated the purchase of a new dipstick and tube assembly for a 351W to go into a
Pantera.   The vendor did a great job of producing a very nice-looking
dipstick, but there was absolutely NO science or calculation involved, and the
resultant dipstick was something like three inches too short!!!!!!

The vendor said, "Have him tell me what he needs and I'll make him a new
dipstick, however long he wants it to be".   While such customer service is
admirable, I would think the proper thing to do would be to take the time to
determine what the appropriate length is, and then make it right the first
time, rather than just sending something out the door that you don't even
think is right.

The customer solved the problem by shortening the tube at the back end;
this then allows the dipstick to go further into the pan.

I advocate 'tuning' Pantera dipstick length by using a known good starting
point.   You can buy a brand new standard 351C or 351W dipstick and tube
assembly (as required) for about ten bucks.   Install that, see where the
'full' and 'empty' marks are.   Then install your Pantera setup, and either
shorten the tube to lengthen the dipstick, or re-mark the dipstick if it's too
long already.