[DeTomaso] 1972 De Tomaso Pantera for sale by Mecum Auction

Douglas Kelm dakelm at qwest.net
Sun Jun 19 14:45:47 EDT 2011

This is an in person report on this auction vehicle. All statements are my opinion only and there may be some factual errors as I didn't take written notes when inspecting the car.

Vin: 3308. Mileage: about 33K. This is about as stock a car as you are likely to encounter and it was not babied throughout its life. It was given an auction quality repaint (aka "ten footer"), most likely recently, judging from the lack of stress cracks at the usual places. It did not appear to be color sanded and had noticeable orange peel. There was minimal removal of trim parts prior to paint and the masked off areas were poorly done. If ever a Pantera deserved to have a color change, this one was it! It may be a highly rare color, and for good reason: IT SUCKS! (end editorial rant here). The seller didn't even upgrade the rear latch to prevent lateral shifting of the deck lid, with the obvious result of chipped paint at the rear corners! Corrosion was beginning to peak through the paint at the lower rear door jamb on the driver's side (quite common in these cars) indicating the car had hidden rust issues. The mouse fur fabric in the front trunk could best be described as "tatty". The covering in the rear tub was better. I will say the interior was excellent with no damage to the original seat covers. The only flaw I could find inside was corrosion coming through the chrome on the shift gate. I did not hear the engine run, so no comment there. Other than the upgrades listed in the auction ad, there appears to no other improvements.

Now I will admit to being one skinflint, tight fisted cheap ass, but I am shocked the owner did not let this car go for the $37,000 high bid. Personally, I would not have paid a nickel over $25K. I am also stunned that there might have been a non-shill bidder willing to go that high. Some of you may remember that I sold 2886 out of this market (Minneapolis) four years ago for less than $45,000. You can look up the details on Chuck's website www.provamo.com . My car was so vastly superior to this one it isn't even funny! Ask anyone in the NORCAL club that knew the car. I don't think the Pantera market has appreciated that much, if at all, in the last four years. For this town, at this time, $37K was all the money and then some.

Take it for what it's worth.

Doug

 http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=MN0611-111424&entryRow=200