[DeTomaso] Fun Rally Pantera Birthday Salute

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Fri Jun 17 18:56:39 EDT 2011

You didn't need to attend the Fun Rally in Reno to know that this is the 40th birthdate of the Pantera.  The De Tomaso factory sold many different models of the Pantera over it's production run. As owners, many of us on this Forum have picked up where the factory left off and have continued to evolve the car to take advantage of new technologies and to enhance its reliability and performance.  These efforts have taken a car that while 40 years since initially sold is in many cases more capable today than when new.

Rob Pink (on the Forum as Rob Stewart) and I tried to pick up on that theme at the Fun Rally with this video that we put together with pictures acquired of cars attending the 2011 Fun Rally in Reno.  We tried to get a shot of every model and covered most.  There was a GT5s there; although we couldn't get a good shot of it as we never caught it outside the garage.  I also see we missed the placement of Kirk's '95 Pantera concept car - it shows at the end.  We endeavored to get the cars arranged chronologically based on restoration dates as well. It's mostly correct and I really have to thank Rob for piecing it together Late Saturday as we prepared for the evening Banquet with a hundred other items on the agenda.

BTW, The Pantera concept car by Kirk Evans is half built in his workshop.  I'd love to see him finish it and display at next year's Fun Rally.  If someone with deep pockets is fond of it, I am confident that he would accelerate the pace and build it for you.  :^)

Hope that you like the video - Turn up the sound    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzLAPlBamI4

            JT