[DeTomaso] Interesting Cobra Replica on eBay

GW gow2 at rc-tech.net
Thu Jun 16 22:05:01 EDT 2011

I can't get excited about what is or isn't a Shelby. Shelby left the
country to evade his debtors and told the Cobra guys good luck; I didn't
have any. He came back then sued everyone. Most lost except one or two
who really had money to battle. Superformance was one of them. They won
their case.

Shelby used several kit car companies to make his cars over the years
there is no real standard. There are probably more people On top of not
knowing whose kit car you would end up with after sending your deposit,
Shelby stiffed money out of then cars he actually delivered; at least
that is what he is known for in the Cobra market.

Superformance is one of the best Cobra's out there; day and night
difference over say a Factory Five. Superformance went to Peter Brock
some time back to re-make the Daytona Coup. Brock designed the first
coupe for Shelby but at some point Shelby had to race the car and Peter
Brock never really got to finish the design.

When Superformance aproached him, Peter said "no, I don't work for kit
cars". They said you don't understand. They flew him to the factories
and the R&D departments, and after lengthy discussions they agreed.
Superformance gave Peter Brock the keys to the R&D and said don't come
out till your done.

I have heard many people say the Superformance does not look like a very
good replica. It's not supose to be a replica. The car Peter
Brock/Superformance built was Peter Brock finishing his development of
the car. It used to be called the "Brock Coupe". They did over 200mph
first time out in street trim and air conditioning.

Then Shelby came in, cut a deal, and now the Superformance cars are
Shelby cars. Shelby Cobra and Daytona coupe. Makes me kind of sick
really. Superformance built 2 cars far better then the original. But at
least with Shelby on the sidelines just lending his name, orders get
filled.