[DeTomaso] no electricity from switch to starter

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 12:41:27 EDT 2011

Do you have power going to the switch? check this very carefully with a
multimeter. If you do have power going to the switch there are two leads on
the switch(needed for the car to start and run" "on" and "Start" (.Refer to
the schematic) the run terminal will allow current through the switch when
the key is turned to the run position and the start position.( Check this
with THE BATTERY DISCONNECTED!) use your multimeter as a continuity checker
and see if current is actually passing through the switch when the key is
turned to the "Run" or "On" position. Once you have determined you are
getting juice through the switch you must know check the "start" tab on the
key switch. Again refer to the schematics ( Pantera place (
http://www.panteraplace.com/) has schematics of all the subsystems so you
don't have to use a full  harness diagram. Here is a link to the start
circuit schematic http://www.panteraplace.com/Electrical/ENGINE%20START.pdf (
Pantera place has indispensable info especially if you are new.) So if you
are getting juice to the run tab on the switch and the start tab on the
switch then your next stop is the solenoid on the fire wall. If your car has
not been modified you will find the solenoid on the fire wall ( inside the
engine compartment on the right hand  side of the engine . (Usually near the
coil) if you have juice on both sides of the key switch and you have juice
at the solenoid on the fire wall then you probably have a bad starter or
solenoid. If you are not getting juice on the switched side of the key
switch (but you do have power going to the switch)you have a bad switch. If
you can't diagnose the problem yourself it may be a good idea to get the car
to a Pantera shop and have them check the starting circuits before you start
replacing things. It takes allot of current to turn over the motor a
connection that looks good must also be checked for the amount of voltage
and amps necessary to start the car. Sometimes it looks like you have a
"good" connection but it is not getting or allowing enough juice through to
start the car. This can be caused by a weak battery or a faulty connection
somewhere in the circuit. I am no expert but I have had some expierience
trouble shooting start problems in my car ( which are now all resolved) Good
Luck!
Boyd