[DeTomaso] NPC - Cordless Drill needed

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Jul 27 15:21:37 EDT 2011

In a message dated 7/27/11 7:31:45 AM, lotus0005 at hotmail.com writes:

> The cordless drill that I have had about 5 years has finally quit.  Don't
> know if it is the batteries or the drill - but figure it's probably just
> as cheap to buy a new one as to buy new batteries.

Not always. If there's nothing mechanically wrong its almost always better
to get the batteries replaced on a known- good drill. I have an ancient
'80s-version 1/4" cordless in which 2 small ni-cads are SOLDERED inside. I took
the powerpack to my local Batteries-Plus store and they replaced them for
$8. Works fine; I like it 'cause it weighs amost nothing. I routinely take
inop batteries from my old Ryobis etc to them and they rebuild those also- with
a 90 day guarantee. All a new drill will do is give you more torque from a
more powerful powrpack (6, then 12 then 18 and now 24V). If you have lots of
extra money, buy the highest voltage unit you actually need; but more
power/torque=   will be heavier to hold at arms-length & too bulky to fit in some
spaces. I drywalled a whole shop with a 12V Ryobi used as a power
screwdriver and 2 extra power-packs. It still works fine 10 trs later but none of the
batteries are original.....   But chemical batteries don't last but a few
years anyway- in cars or drills. Good luck- J DeRyke