[DeTomaso] Darn speedo cable

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jul 25 20:19:17 EDT 2011

In a message dated 7/25/11 11 37 13, charlesmccall at gmail.com writes:

> Anyone had any similar problems? Any tricks of the trade? Is it possible
> that the threaded tube on the back of the speedometer can rotate?

I don't think so.   I just went through this exercise a few months ago.
Changing the speedo cable is a relatively painful exercise with the
early-style two-pod dashboard, and is a nightmare with the later dashboards like ours
unless you know the trick.

The problem is that there is structure immediately behind the speedometer,
which forces the speedo cable into a weird angle.   Resting against the
underside of the structure, it would impact the speedo about a half an inch
below the threaded boss where it needs to go.   When installed, it rides under
the structure, then bends upwards and immediately downwards again to enter
the back of the gauge.   It's virtually impossible to manipulate the cable
with the gauge in place to get it to line up perfectly, and it is completely
intolorant of the slightest misalignment.

I finally hit upon the solution after about five minutes of struggling like
you were.   I simply unscrewed the two finger-nuts which hold the U-shaped
clamp which holds the speedometer in the dashboard, then slid the speedo out
of the dash about halfway.   This then gave me enough freedom of movement
to tilt the face of the speedo up, which in turn angles the back of it down,
neatly lining up with the speedo cable.   Then it's a snap to thread the
cable on, good and tight.   Then reinstall the speedo in the dash, and you're
done!

Oh, I should qualify that--I didn't actually install the cable.   Lori is
right-sized for the task, and loves working on Panteras, so I installed her
in the appropriate position to manipulate the cable.   I knelt on the ground
outside the car, and reached in with my left hand to unscrew the two nuts
and manipulate the speedometer while she threaded the cable on, as seen here:

So Charlie, this looks like a job you and Amaya can tackle together with no
problem! :>)

Mike (sorry you worked so hard for so long before asking for the easy way!)