[DeTomaso] Darn speedo cable

CharlesMcCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 14:36:33 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I'm still trying to change my speedometer cable, and I've spent literally 4
hours trying to simply connect the cable end to the speedometer with no
luck.

My wife spent an hour, with no luck either.

The speedo cable has a ring, threaded on the inside, that should screw onto
a hollow tube that is threaded on the outside. The cable goes through this
tube to mesh up with the speedo gears.

I have the cable properly meshed with the speedo gears, as spinning the
other end of the cable with my fingers makes the speedometer move. But I
can't for the life of me get the ring to thread onto the hollow tube. It
would appear that this tube, which is connected to the backside of the
speedometer, is also turning freely?

This should be the world's simplest job, and I did it many moons ago in my
old '72 and think it took about an hour. I can't for the life of me get the
darn ring to screw onto the back of the speedometer.

Anyone had any similar problems? Any tricks of the trade? Is it possible
that the threaded tube on the back of the speedometer can rotate?

Thanks all!