[DeTomaso] Pantera AC upgrade

John Buckman jb841 at cox.net
Sat Jul 16 23:56:44 EDT 2011

I posted this info a few weeks ago:

If you replace a York 209 with a Sanden SD508 or SD5H14, the Sanden has 4cc LESS displacement.

If replacing a York 210 with a Sanden SD508 or SD5H14, the Sanden has  31cc LESS displacement.

If you use the Sanden SD7H15, it is 13cc MORE than the York 209, and 14cc LESS than the York 210.

The last York compressor that I used was a 210, and it worked very well.  When it started leaking, I replaced
it with Sanden SD7H15, which is 14cc LESS than the York 210.  So far, the SD7H15 is working well.  I had
contacted AC Parts in Texas to purchase the Sanden SD508, and they recommended using the SD7H15, as
it would provide a little more cooling at engine idle.  The guy was familiar with the Pantera, although I don't
know to what extent.

The Pantera AC grill opening is only about 9.5" x 17".  You will need to space the 14" x 25" condenser away
from the body so that there will be more (better?) air flowing over a larger area of the condenser.

Be aware that the fans will act as a generator when they are cycled (or turned) off.  If the fans and the compressor
clutch are not separated by a relay (or separate switches), then you will need to add a large diode to the fans' ground wire.

All new expansion valves will be marked R134a, but will work for either R134a or R12.  There is a small difference
in the super heat between the two.

John