[DeTomaso] Pantera AC upgrade

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Sat Jul 16 21:00:18 EDT 2011

Boyd

1) I have been informed in the past that even the 508 is a little too much
capacity for the Pantera's system.  If so, the 709 may be problematic.  I
believe the source of this data was the book on AC Systems written by the
owner of Vintage Air and he cautioned about too much compressor.

2) After talking with many of the AC vendors, I have concluded that with the
exception of flare vs. o-ring fittings, there is not a meaningful difference
in R-12 vs 134A expansion valves.  I'd clean out the screen in the one you
have and reuse; especially, if you are keeping your original evaporator that
has a flare fitting.

3) I can't say enough about the quality and ease of use & installation of
the new Aeroquip EZ-Clip lines and fittings.  I doubt they would blow.  Can
buy inexpensively at Aeroquip.cc

4) I have used a Diesel Kiki compressor that was sold through Quella.  Good
results with it.  I do not know it's RPM limit.

Share your results

JT