[DeTomaso] gumball pantera needs to remove a rear ZF stud

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Wed Jul 13 20:04:56 EDT 2011

Bob

I must admit, it never occurred to me that one of the rear studs could
interfere with the reverse mechanism.  As such, the issue motivated me to
pull the ZF shop manual to see which of the studs may be problematic.  It is
certainly unnecessary to pull them all as most dead end in the casting and
couldn't be the culprit.

Well, I scrutinized various pictures and diagrams in the manual, then,
observed a couple cars at my place and am hard pressed to believe that one
of the rear studs is the culprit.  Certainly, if someone had their ZF apart,
they could be more incisive.

The only way I can visualize a problem is if the reverse gear is obstructed
from sliding on its idler shaft to engage the reverse gear sliding sleeve.
My memory is rough; however, I believe the reverse idler gear moves forward
away from the rear case to engage.  If that is true, it removes the studs
from play.

As an alternative potential solution, have you removed your back-up switch?
When screwed in to far, the switch could prevent allowing the cross shaft
enough movement to engage the reverse properly.

I think the studs are not the issue. Although, if they were, it may be the
two at 10:00 and 10:30 just left of the 1.5" round casting that houses the
idler shaft.

As they say, my 10 cents

JT