[DeTomaso] pancake fan for condenser

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Mon Jul 11 19:02:59 EDT 2011

Tom

Don't stop there; it is reasonable to have higher expectations.

1) Do you know how well the CFM of the pancake compares with the original
fan? My previous research showed most pancake motors were not able to pull
as much CFM as the original fan/motor with it's larger blade design. If you
go to sites like http://www.the-fan-man.com/, you can see that the stock
blade design on our original condensor consistently has more CFM than either
straight or vaned blade pancake motors.

Perhaps a decade back on this Forum, an individual ran a informal test
placing heavier flat items ( I believe it was cardboard )against the
condenser grill to see which had superior sucking ability and the stock fan
proved hard to beat.

The condenser is the challenge in the system.  It is smaller than ideal and
requires more airflow.  You are focusing in the right area.

2) Another potential issue is the filter screen in the stock expansion
valve.  These can become partially clogged over time and compromise the flow
of refrigerant in to the evaporator.  It is in the inlet side of the valve.

If I were in your shoes, I would see whether spraying water from a garden
hose on the condenser significantly improved cooling temps at the dash vent.
I realize that this will be possible only while in your driveway.  However,
take the car for a drive and allow it to get up to temp.  When you have the
AC blowing at 55 degrees come into the driveway and have someone spray water
at the condenser.  If the temps drop perceptibly, then you have your
challenge - improve air flow through the condenser.  A guy on the PI forum
fabricated a condenser shroud with two pancake motors.  Now your talkin'

Keep us apprised

JT