[DeTomaso] NPC: Selling an Acura CL Type S 6-Spd

Tom Scales tom at scalesfamily.com
Mon Jul 11 08:00:17 EDT 2011

Perhaps an odd choice for my first post (I joined a few days ago), but it
happens to be a topic with which I am familiar.

While our family has the typical mini-van for when the whole family is out
and about, our primary car for the kids is an E55 Station Wagon.  469HP,
516ftlb.  Do I need that power -- heck no -- but if it was about need, I
wouldn't be considering a Pantera.  To me, there is a part of it that is
just the rush.  Put your foot down and GO. There is also an element of
safety. I can avoid situations others can't.  OK, it's about the rush.

It's as easy to explain the E55 as it is the car I drive all winter.  My
year-around car (in Iowa) is a 2004 996TT convertible.  I put snow tires on
it in the winter and it is unstoppable -- AWD has value.  Of course, the
rush with turbos on the 996 is different than the rush with an SC on the
E55.

Now, having said all that, let me go back to the beginning and introduce
myself.  I'm married with three small kids still at home. I've wanted a
Pantera since I first saw one in the early 70's.  It was in the neighborhood
occasionally, but I never found out who owned it.  I've also been interested
in an Italian exotic for a long time.

So, marry the two.  The Pantera appeals to me as I am NOT a wrench turner,
and the Ford power makes it so much more maintainable.  I've been reading
and reading so I am aware of the corrosion issues.  My goal is a decent
priced, ready to go driver. I'm not looking for concurs and I'm not looking
for a project. Hopefully I'll find the right car that has been fixed, but
not restored.

I'm in no rush -- I know this could take years to find the perfect car.

I'm enjoying reading the posts and hope someday to contribute.

Tom