[DeTomaso] Big-power Panteras!

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Jul 9 17:18:07 EDT 2011

In a message dated 7/8/11 2:33:45 PM, lotus0005 at hotmail.com writes:

> Only because the Pantera community is so small - I wonder who has the
> most powerful car?  I mean if some really rich dude wanted to have "THE"
> Pantera, how much horsepower would he have to have?

I thought I'd never say this when younger, but I've found that 300 real
horses will propel our Pantera to 160 mph, which at my age is real close to the
upper edge of my personal comfort zone....
I wonder about the Pantera built no-expense-spared in the mid-'80s with a
Ford 427-SOHC and titanium exhausts, that reportedly cost in the
high-6-figures back then! Don't remember any published dyno runs on it as the owner
apparently went into bankruptcy about the time it was finished. At the time,
that money would have bought you a pretty nice mansion on Maui or any number of
alternative conspicuous-comsumption articles.... Today, just the engine
sitting on the floor would run close to $50K and the WOW-factor in a Pantera
would still be immense. FWIW-J DeRyke