[DeTomaso] ZF gear oil

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Jul 6 22:17:57 EDT 2011

In a message dated 7/6/11 3:45:15 PM, justingreisberg at hotmail.com writes:

> Now, to change the output shaft seal (where the halfshafts attach), I
> assume I would have to remove the unit again, which I am not ready to do
> yet!!  Anyone know if it is possible to replace the seal while in the car??  I
> dont think so.

Correct. The side plates must come off, and due to the lower cross-bolts
running into the frame, the ZF must come out to remove them. The inner stub
axles are retained in the side plates by c-clips that can only be removed from
the inside. Once that happens, the seals can be tapped out, new ones
installed and reassembled, then reinstall the ZF. The seals are std units
available anywhere but the paper gaskets on each side are ZF only. Sometimes, you
get lucky and the gaskets are reuseable. If not, RBT has them in stock.
Only thing to watch is, the side plates are visually identical but should
stack is part of the ring & pinion pre-load. That includes the side plate
gasket thicknesses- so its not a good idea to use home-made or generic gaskets.
Not a difficult or expensive job, just tedious. Good luck- J Deryke