[DeTomaso] Speedo Stopped Working

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sun Jul 3 17:22:52 EDT 2011

Dear Mike,

                I just went through this.   Several months ago, my speedo
quit at the same time I heard odd noises from the dash area.  My diagnosis
was that the speedo cable had broken after 60k miles and 37 years.

                So  I did all the interior removal to remove the speedo
cable.  Once that task was done, I proceeded to confirm my diagnosis by
pulling the cable out of the housing.  I found no problem with the cable.
My diagnosis was wrong.

                 So, back to the ZF speedo angle drive, which had failed
before twice, quite quickly, about twenty years ago on the other Pantera.
OK, it is broken *and* the actual ZF speedo gear was broken.

                So, I discover that the Wilkinson retail for the speedo gear
is about $300 and the angle drive---I can't recall.   Pantera Performance
Center had some gently used pre-owned parts for a gentler price  (these
seemed way cheaper twenty years ago).

                Pitfalls: don't remove your speedo cable until you're sure
that the problem is not at the ZF.  Out of three speedo failures, all of
them have been at the ZF interface with the angle drive.  It is no big
problem to remove the angle drive.  If the actual speedo gear has a big flat
blade coming off of it, then it is OK.  If the angle drive looks OK then it
should be good.  Unless the  external blade end of the speedo gear is
broken, then you won't have to try to remove the gear.  Good news: gear
removal on a cold ZF is not *that* hard nor risky .   Bad news: it *is*
possible to drop the speedo drive gear into the ZF innards if you don't take
rudimentary care.

                 Start back at the ZF.

             Warmest regards, Chuck Engles (7171&7191)