[DeTomaso] Are time plugs temporary or permanent fixes?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Jul 2 15:10:31 EDT 2011

In a message dated 7/2/11 8 34 18, julian_kift at hotmail.com writes:

> IMO take it and get it repaired, a tire shop fix is permanent, far more
> so than the roadside "get you out of a bind" tire plugs. The professional
> ones have a patch on the end of the plug that the shop vulcanizes onto the
> inner surface of the tire.

Don't make the mistake I made with my Mustang, and accept an external plug
repair.   Insist on the mushroom-shaped plugs, which incorporate a round
patch which covers the hole from the inside, and has a projection that extends
out.

I had one of those external plugs fitted on my GT350 in Florence.   A year
later I was on my way to the Nurburgring when it failed, the tire went flat
and I was stranded on the side of the road.   Lucky thing--I was going to be
running flat-out on the track the next day, and if it happened there?
Much badness!!!!

The internal plugs are quite robust and shouldn't have any adverse affect
on the tire, other than adding an imbalance factor which will require the
tire to be balanced when the repair is complete.

Cheers!