[DeTomaso] Are time plugs temporary or permanent fixes?

Jeff Cobb zumzum at cox.net
Sat Jul 2 12:06:15 EDT 2011

Charles, twenty years ago I was driving three others with luggage and crossing the  Pontchartrain  bridge north of New Orleans heading home in August, very hot!  While trying to set a crossing record in a 71Benz 300sel 6.3, at 141+_ the complete right rear radial  tire tread came off in a heartbeat. We stopped and checked. Put on bias belted tire and slowly went home, much wobble.  Bought all new tires and kept the damaged tire for seven years at my shop so people could see the tire plug protruding through the fully aired carcass. So massive heat, load, friction and rotational loads did no damage to plug but destroyed tread.
Jeff
Sent from my iPhone