[DeTomaso] NPC: Oversteer

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Jan 18 01:45:12 EST 2011

In a message dated 1/17/11 20 44 26, spkorb at gmail.com writes:

> The rear tires are wearing fine, and I have Biltein shocks and new
> springs... but I hadn't thought about the tires before... the rear
> tires are real greasy hard rubber tires... probably 6 years old.  The
> fronts are pretty greasy Chinese tires but they're almost new.  That
> could make things pretty squirrely and that's probably why I'm not
> enjoying the car.  A simple case of not treating it right :)

Ah, I failed to consider the obvious problem--cheap bastard owner. :>)

When I bought my $35 Scirocco (!) it had two low-mileage Z-rated BFG tires,
and two totally wrecked front tires.   I bought new BFGs for the front to
match the 'good' ones in the rear of the car.   Driving home from the tire
shop, I made a right turn at the corner and came rocketing into my
development, and wound up coming through the entryway backwards!!!   I had the new
tires in the front, and the like-new-but-hard-as-a-rock tires in the back.   The
difference in traction was remarkable, as I discovered when the car spun a
full 270 degrees (lift-throttle terminal oversteer).

I limped to my house, quickly put the new tires on the rear, and then had
terminal understeer until I baked the front tires to bits.   Then put some
new tires there too, and hey presto!   The car was neutral!