[DeTomaso] Elvis' Pantera

Richard Greenblum pantera at austin.rr.com
Mon Jan 17 17:24:44 EST 2011

I almost never contribute directly to the list, but I was reading something
and came across this.  I thought it was worth sending because the only thing
we ever read about Elvis' famous yellow Pantera is how it wouldn't start, so
he shot it.  Sheila Ryan, the person quoted below, was once his girl friend.
She was later James Caan's wife.

 Did you ever just go out the two of you?  Sheila Ryan: One time we were
gonna go for a ride in the yellow Pantera and I was petrified. I was worried
because he didn't drive that often. We were always in a limousine. It was
late and dark and we were on the Mississippi interstate. Elvis was driving.
It's just the two of us. And he was like lit up, like a Christmas tree. And
we were going seventy-five and I'm thinking, okay, I can deal with
seventy-five. And then eighty-five and ninety-five and a hundred and thirty.
We were going a hundred and thirty. Then Elvis says, "Here, you take the
wheel." And takes his hands off and I was like, "Please, that's not funny.
Please." And I was like begging him. I was really scared. It was  a side of
him that I didn't see often. Carefree. He wasn't on the job. He wasn't
working. He wasn't in Vegas. He wasn't doing shows. He was just having a
good time. When I saw those gates with the musical notes on them, I was
really happy to be back.

Richard

Austin, TX

7080