[DeTomaso] NPC Dual Brake Master Cylinders Question

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jan 5 20:13:06 EST 2011

In a message dated 1/5/11 16 55 38, julian_kift at hotmail.com writes:

> After thinking about it I was going to put the brake light switch in the
> front circuit anyway as with the brake bias adjuster set correctly the
> fronts should see more pressure earlier.

Perhaps true in your case, but not necessarily true generally.   It can be
a complex algorithm of different master cylinder bore diameters, and
different numbers and sizes of brake caliper pistons, front and rear.   Depending
on the components, it's quite possible for the rear circuit to have more line
pressure with a given amount of pedal pressure, yet the front calipers are
working harder.   Only when all front and rear components are the same, can
it generally be assumed that the fronts will be set up to receive more
pressure than the rears at a given moment.

Your masters are the same, but what about your calipers?   If they're not
the same, it could easily wind up that you have to have less pressure in the
front system, even though that might allow the front wheels to lock up
sooner.