[DeTomaso] Front suspension lift mechanism

Peter Havlik peterhavlik at me.com
Sat Feb 19 17:07:45 EST 2011

Kjetil:

I have been looking into this particular system for a while. I believe that if you raise the front end only, you actually get more lift at the air dam splitter than at the front wheel because of the geometry that results from the air dam being cantilevered so far forward. In other words, it’s not how big it is, it’s what you do with it.

Even if it was to be only 1.5" of lift, I think this would still justify the cost of the system because it would make all the difference in typical approach angles. If I had had the system from the beginning, it would have already paid for itself in saved air dam repair bills (not to mention the lost driving time waiting for the repairs to be done).

I compared the Ram Lift hydraulic system to the competing Umbrella Design pneumatic alternative:

http://www.umbrellaautodesign.com/content-product_info/product_id-1184/variable_ride_height_suspension_kit_patent_pending.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpnLWyGykcs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0mkjUd8NzI&feature=related

Although the pneumatic systems are much faster acting and provide more lift, in my opinion they do not compare for two main reasons. First, you have to install a big fugly 4” x 17” air tank in your front trunk. Second, air compresses and, therefore, I suspect there will may an adverse impact on the car's handling if you are driving with any lift (although Umbrella denies this). For me this is a critical consideration, because I want to be able to avoid bottoming out at speed on frost-heaved highways and so I want to be able to drive with the system raised.

Here is what I know about the Umbrella Design pneumatic system:

·      The Umbrella system lifts higher than the Ram Lift system – in the range of 90mm or 5” depending on application.

·      They warranty their product for one year.

·      Umbrella claims their system can be lifted at any speed of driving and can be left lifted with no adverse consequences on handling. Their competitors claim the Umbrella system will change the spring rate.

·      For new applications, they require you to send your coilovers to their shop in Seattle for the conversion.

·      The front-only kit weighs approximately 11lbs. The front and rear kit weighs approximately 19 lbs.

·      It is expensive; about $2,130 for the front-only kit and $3,130 for the front and rear kit.

Here is what I know about the Ram Lift hydraulic system:

·      The rams are designed to fit on a coilover with a shock body not over 2.2" or 56mm. The springs are usually 2.5" ID. They have fit some 2.25" ID springs with custom washers.

·      The ram requires 2.5” free thread at the base of the shock, otherwise a shorter spring will have to be installed.

·      The ram can be installed at the top or bottom of the spring.

·      The washer locates the spring on the ram.

·      Installation is supposedly easy, and requires no special tools.

·      They claim their system can be lifted at any speed of driving and can be left lifted with no adverse handling consequences.

·      The front kit weight is 16lbs. and a front/rear kit is 20lbs.

·      With the RLP-1.25 ram, the lift at the splitter is 2” to 3” depending on suspension geometry. They also have a 2.5” ram available.

·      The system is slow. Their old pumps would lift a car in 6-8 seconds, and their new pumps will do it in 3-4 seconds.

·      The cost for the front-only kit is $1,768.

·      They warranty all their parts for one year.

I plan to acquire the Ram Lift system and so I am definitely interested in participating in a group buy. The sooner the better.

However, there are a couple of questions to answer before we take the plunge. First, there is the issue of clearances. The Ram Lift guy told me the system has never been mounted on a Pantera and so, although it looks like there should be no problem, they can't guarantee a problem-free install. Second, There is the question of whether our typical Koni or Carrera shock has enough free thread to accommodate the system, or whether we will have to replace our springs with shorter ones.

- Peter

Message: 4