[DeTomaso] a few good bolts

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Dec 27 19:57:51 EST 2011

In a message dated 12/27/11 16 45 45, wkooiman at earthlink.net writes:

> I doubt that the shank provides any shear support.  Isn't it the friction
> from the clamping force that keeps it all together?

The torque is transmitted by the shank of the bolts; the flat flanges are
just there to support the bolts and the nuts.   That's why it's crucial to
NOT use ordinary bolts, which would be threaded where they pass through the
flanges.   You must use bolts with a proper shank.   You can make them
yourself by cutting down longer bolts (longer bolts will normally have a certain
amount of the shank un-threaded), but the smart/easy thing to do is just buy
the proper bolts in the first place.