[DeTomaso] need opinion on oil and filter

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Mon Dec 26 13:10:32 EST 2011

Thanks, Mike!  You just saved me some money, not to mention the effort if changing my oil more often than needed.
Sincerely,
Chris

From: MikeLDrew at aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 02:18:35 -0500
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] need opinion on oil and filter
To: chrisvkimball at msn.com; detomaso at realbig.com

In a message dated 12/25/11 22 38 16, chrisvkimball at msn.com writes:

I'm looking for some expert opinions on oil.

I'm currently using an K&N filter and Mobile 1 synthetic 10-30 oil.  I did an on-line survey or something and for doing it got a case of Castrol Edge Titanium 5-30 synthetic oil, and a couple of Mobile 1 M-301 filters.

Do I have a problem if for the next couple of oil changes I use the Castrol oil and the Mobile 1 filters?

Absolutely no problem at all.

There is an article in today's paper here about fools who throw away perfectly good oil by doing oil changes at 3000 mile intervals, or less.   The article is biased towards modern, fuel-injected cars that run so cleanly that the oil can easily go 10K miles or more between changes.   Our older, low-tech cars need oil changes more frequently than that, but almost certainly not every 3K miles, even when using dino oil.   The synthetic oil you're using is among the best available, and I'd feel quite comfortable going at least 5-7K between changes.   The new Castrol stuff is reputed to be very good stuff too.