[DeTomaso] need opinion on oil and filter

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Mon Dec 26 03:07:01 EST 2011

Chris,
How long have you been using 10-30 Mobil 1?  Is it or the Castrol what I believe is called an Energy Star oil, with the little symbol on the can?  If so it has VERY low levels of ZDDP.  Unless you have roller lifters that is bad news re cam wear.
Also, I know Steve Wilkinson recommends 15W-40 Delo or equivalent oil (or the 5W-40 synthetic counterparts) and that's what I use, but  a -30 oil is pretty thin.  I'm sure it's fine if you don't push the engine hard enough long enough to overheat the oil, but if you do push it you'll want to watch your oil pressure to make sure it doesn't drop because the oil has gotten too thin.

Jim