[DeTomaso] Tale of Caution

David in Durango adin at frontier.net
Tue Apr 26 09:56:18 EDT 2011

Dave,
I remember the Holley being pig rich out of the box. As in : would barely go
down the street. and the new dizzy was stabbed incorrectly.

Oh, now I remember . . . . when the motor was built ( "best machine shop in
texas"  really?) the circlip was left off the oil pump shaft.  Eventually I
ran out of luck and it dropped into the pan.  Rather than pull the motor out
the top, it was easier to drop the front suspension while the motor was
suspended in mid air.  Anyway, new oil pump and shaft and put it all back
together.

Part of the mods to put a 302 in a Miata is a modified oil pan (I didn't do
this one).  For some reason, when I got the car running , it would come to
temp and the crank was hitting the oil pan.  This is a big noise and not
pleasant. this was caused by the flat bottom of the pan distorting.

so . . . pull the front suspension and pan.  AGAIN.  apply the BFH and some
heat blah blah.

a few memories I'd rather not visit bwahahahahahahahaha.

cheers,

yeah, its got spark!

PS: anyone considering this motor swap should talk to me first.