[DeTomaso] Needle Bearing Pilot Bushing Won't Budge

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Sun Apr 24 17:58:54 EDT 2011

I have a needle-bearing type pilot bushing that I'm replacing while the
engine is out of the car.  I set up a slide-hammer style blind bearing
puller and was able to pull the center out of the assembly on the first
pass.

I set the hammer up with the next size shaft to pull the rest of the
assembly, but it won't budge.  I remember it as being quite tight when it
went in.  The slide part of the assembly on the slide hammer eventually gave
up and just came out/  I'm stumped.  I'll try soaking it in penetrating oil,
but would appreciate any other suggestions.

Thanks
Mike Thomas