[DeTomaso] New seats - handbrake has to go

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 24 13:52:47 EDT 2011

You could tackle it in a few ways,

1. Change to a line lock hydraulic parking brake as used in some aftermarket brake upgrades. This is more compact and can be located wherever convenient with a little rerouting of brake lines.
2. Take a leaf from the post 9300 series cars where the handbrake was relocated to the right front of the drivers seat (if you have room)
3. An aftermarket electronic actuator.

I seem to recall #3 having been discused recently, it should be relatively easy with an actuator and could prbably retain most of teh stock cable etc. There are a number of modern cars now utilizing an electric parking brake. I guess the big question is how responsive they are for hill starts versus pure parking, some reviews say they lose 'feel' of when the car is freeing the brakes for the former.

FWIW I have owned my GT5 for 3 years and the previous owner removed the parking brake altogheter during a Wilwood brake upgrade. Initially I thought I'd have to reinstall something and obtained all the parts to do so, needless to say those parts are all still on the shelf and I have adjusted to the car with judicous use of the right foot betwen the brake and accelerator. That said if I were driving around San Francisco I'd probably want the security of a handbrake and the potential reduced demand on the clutch.

Good luck,
Julian