[DeTomaso] a3 intake

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 12:48:11 EDT 2011

The specific intake Dave's looking for is the p/n M-9424-A331 made by Edelbrock
for Ford Motorsport and looks like a Torker but has a raised floor (will not
seal against a 4V port unless port stuffers are used):

 http://www.bacomatic.org/gallery2/v/hidden/dan/dan-cars/album04/album17/A331_vs_Torker_01.jpg.html
 http://www.bacomatic.org/gallery2/v/hidden/dan/dan-cars/album04/album17/Edel_A331_001.jpg.html
 http://www.bacomatic.org/gallery2/v/hidden/dan/dan-cars/album04/album17/A331_vs_Torker_02.jpg.html

Not to be confused with the same p/n M-9424-A331 intake made by Roush for Ford
Motorsport which is a completely different taller air gap intake which
has C302B
size ports:

 http://www.bacomatic.org/gallery2/v/hidden/dan/dan-cars/album04/album17/Roush_A331_02.jpg.html

I've got a couple of the Edelbrock A331's but I'm not sure I want to part with
one yet as I also have two sets of A3 heads.  You might try Kelly Coffield as
he may have a spare.  I also have a B351 intake that has been port matched to
A3 heads but it's at the dyno waiting to be tested against the A331 intake on
the A3 heads.

> The Parker 4V Funnelweb is a pretty good match to A3 heads.

I had a Parker Funnelweb 4V here that I put an A3 intake gasket on.
It was a decent match to the A3 heads but not perfect.  I spoke with
Terry Parker about running A3 heads with his Funnelweb 4V intake and
he indicated the floor of his manifold would need to be lowered about
0.3" to match the A3 and is somewhat narrower.  He said the TFC is a
closer port match, maybe only about 0.1" off.  If you have vertical
clearance issues, be aware the TFC is a couple of inches taller than
a Funnelweb which is already taller than a Strip Dominator.

I also put an A3 intake gasket on a Yates E351 intake.  It's a pretty
good match on three sides (top, bottom and forward side).  I had one
here but I think I sold it.  One of the Edelbrock Yates intakes (don't
have the part number handy but it's the large port version) is a close
match but requires a separate valley tray.

I took a quick look at the CHI 3V port location and it looks like it
falls within an A3 port outline.  The reason the Edelbrock A331 is so
desirable is that it will fit under the stock engine screen.  I was
at Wilkinson's and they had resorted to welding up an Edelbrock
Performer to match a set of A3's and added injection bungs.  I mentioned
that Scott Cook's dual plane would be a better match, flows more and
would still fit under the engine screen.

Dan Jones